Primary Position Purpose
To assist the Resident Engineer in carrying out the duties as on-site representative of “the Engineer” as defined in the Conditions of Contract. The Works Inspector examines construction work completed and in progress to ascertain the compliance to Standard- and Project Specifications.
The successful incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Inspecting completed work for acceptance control (e.g. completed pavement layers), or witness construction activity for process control (e.g. seal construction).
- Survey inspections (e.g. check levels, setting out of culverts and structures, measurement for stockpiles, borrow areas, progress of fill etc).
- Visual inspection, density measurement and other on-site testing and sampling of pavement layers for quality control.
- Monitoring the Contractor’s daily activity and progress on site (earth-, layer and seal work, borrow activity, etc) and keeping daily diary of such activity.
- Inspect setting out, formwork, steel placement, concrete placement, etc for culverts.
- Assisting the RE in measuring for payment of completed items of work.
- Monitoring OHS and Environmental compliance at Contractor’s activities.
- Maintenance and care of survey and other testing equipment.
Key Performance Indicators
- Precision, neatness, and accuracy of own work.
- Fast response time to contractor’s request for inspection.
- Skills development (own and junior colleagues).
Recommended Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Technical Diploma (NQF level 6) or equivalent qualification desirable.
- Proficient in engineering land survey
- Basic to intermediate level KSE of fieldwork, data collection and analysis to inform engineering design (engineering land survey, geotech and prospection, traffic analysis and road safety assessment, environmental impact assessment).
- Basic to intermediate KSE for Engineering Design knowledge (drainage, geometric design, pavement design, minor structures, traffic accommodation, economic evaluation, report writing and contract documentation).
- Basic to proficient KSE for contract administration (contract monitoring and reporting, financial procedures, and claims).
- Intermediate to Proficient KSE for construction supervision
- Basic to intermediate project management and BIM
- Intermediate software skills (Autodesk C3D and CAD proficient)
Closing Date: Wednesday, 23 September 2020
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the “Apply Now” link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about VKE Namibia, please visit our SMEC Namibia page at https://www.smec.com/en_na
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to VKE Namibia employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.
14 August 2020 10:30am – Namibia Standard Time
23 September 2020 11:55pm – Namibia Standard Time