MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To develop, implement and monitor safety and health management systems for Swakop Uranium (SU) Mining Operations as per the requirements of the Safety & Health Management Plan, ISO45001 and applicable legislation, regulations and directives.
Key Performance Areas:
- Enforce compliance to the Safety and Health Management Plan, standards and procedures.
- Coordinate safety and health committee meetings and provides information and statistics to line management, employees and contractors. SHERQ performance on all operations.
- Enforce compliance to applicable legislation, regulations and directives.
- Advise and consult with line management, employees and contractors on safety and health practices, development and monitoring.
- Assist and provide guide lines to management to implement the Safety & Health Management Plan.
- Maintain an appropriate Emergency Response capability on site.
- Continuously assess contractors SHERQ Management Systems to ensure that they meet or exceed Swakop Uranium’s standards.
- Conduct risk assessments and develop and implement standard operating procedures to prevent and / or mitigate risk.
- Carry out risk reviews and audit the Mine on the management of non-speculative risks, analyze and evaluate these exposures to establish the frequency and severity of losses and advise relevant departments on necessary action to rectify deviations.
- Develop and implement programmes to enable the Mine to identify high risk exposure to property, legal liability and personal losses.
- Coordinate audits by third party consultants to perform risk assessments on the mine, including fire and spillage hazards, and ensure that recommendations are implemented to comply with applicable insurance standards and current legislation.
- Design, guide and monitor effective firefighting strategies, systems and practices on the Mine.
- Conduct regular over inspections to determine availability and effectiveness of firefighting systems.
- Scrutinize new projects at Swakop Uranium (SU) to advise and ensure compliance with safety factors and legislation.
- Organize and coordinate management and departmental training in SHE Risk Management on the mine.
- Conduct inspections and audit and identify potential hazards and make recommendations for improvements.
- Investigate incidents, identify causes and make recommendations for corrective action to prevent recurrences.
- Investigate incidents, identify root causes and implement remedial action.
- Identify and eliminate safety and health hazards / risks.
- Implement and manage applicable communication and training programmes.
- Set targets and review performance of the Safety and Health team.
- Conduct safety and health site induction and awareness training.
- Assist contractors with continuously improving their Safety and Health performance.
- Manage Safety and Health budget, prepare reports with appropriate documents, data control and perform related administration duties.
- Tracking and reporting of monthly safety statistics.
- Compile safety and health reports and statistics.
- Manage incidents reports and safety meeting records.
- Keep detailed records of safety equipment.
Requirements and experience:
- Degree in Safety and Health Management – NQA: Level 7/8.
- ISO 45001, NEBOSH, NOSA certification training will be an added advantage.
- Minimum7 years’ working experience in an open pit mining environment of which 3 years should have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Valid Code B/BE Driver’s License.