Position : Manager: Social Statistics
Reporting to : Executive: Demographic and Social Statistics
Duty station : NSA Head Office, Windhoek
To plan, develop, refine and manage the Social Statistics division as an integrated and key service provider to Government and commercial/private/other institutional users, and to ensure alignment of the functionalities of this division with international best practices in applied statistics and related services.
To manage the Household, Labour and Welfare Statistics division of the Demographic and Social Statistics department whilst ensuring that such services meet the established international standards of quality including reliability, usability and performance. To establish the operational requirements and scope, professional depth, integrity of statistical methods and models as it applies to sampling, work/data capturing, processing and subsequent outputs.
To ensure relevance and optimal use within the context of demographic and social statistics and achieve horizontal integration of statistical services with other providers/bodies in the region.
Key Performance Areas:
- Developing proposals regarding strategic requirements from a Household, Welfare, Labour and Social statistics perspective for strategic process within the demographics and social statistics management realm.
- Planning and implementing Household, Welfare, Labour and Social statistics surveys.
- Effective liaison with and management of internal and external stakeholders for data provision and expertise
- Translating Strategic Plans into operational functionalities, services and supporting plans that will ensure optimal impact.
- Ensuring operational efficiencies in identifying Household, Welfare, Labour and other Social statistics indicators, measures and analysis.
- Identifying, defining, developing, implementing and enforcing a system of methods, techniques and models, capturing, processing and analysis/reporting in compliance with international professional statistical methods, techniques and practices frameworks requirements.
- Preparing, monitoring and managing the divisional budget
- Ensuring that image-building initiatives are maintained throughout the operational structure via delegated responsibilities.
- Identifying, developing and coordinating projects in the division.
- Ensuring Human Resource capacity and effectiveness in the division.
- Managing the performance of direct reports.
Educational Qualifications & Job Requirement Experience
- Bachelor (Honours) degree majoring in Statistics, Mathematics, Demographics, Geography, Economics or related field, and/or relevant Bachelor (Honours) degree in Computer science majoring in Statistics, Mathematics, Demographics, Geography or Economics at NQF Level 8.
- A Masters level qualification in any of these fields would be an advantage.
- 8 years’ relevant work experience, of which a minimum of 3 years should have been in a senior professional / managerial role within a statistical macroeconomics and or social statistics oriented analytic and advisory environment.
- Proven track record of effectively managing a team of professionals, including building the team’s capacity and providing technical leadership.
- Sound knowledge of Labour Statistics, Welfare and Gender Statistics
- Well-developed and proven managerial and leadership skills
- A sound problem orientation, analytical / systematic thinking skills and a track record of problem resolution
- Sound knowledge of statistical packages in particular Stata, CSpro and SPSS will be desirable.
- Knowledge of international standards and best practices in area of Household, Welfare, Labour and related statistics
- Familiarity with national household surveys and other large scale household surveys
- Experience in the development and refinement of statistical approaches and methods within the context of total statistical systems
- Sound knowledge of Demographics and/or Geography
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards and code of practice
- Excellent technical report writing abilities and presentation skills
- A complete command of written and spoken English
“As per Affirmative Action (Employment) Act, Act 29 of 1998; Namibian Citizens from previously disadvantaged groups will enjoy preferential treatment”
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.