Duration : 6 months contract, Renewable
Duty station : Windhoek
Is responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance and repair of the NSA’s databases and underplaying systems for the census 2021 project. He or She will be responsible for the development and design of database strategies, monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements. They may also plan, co-ordinate and implement security measures to safeguard the database and its data components.
Key responsibilities include:
- Designing, building and implementing of high availability and quality database systems in accordance to end users’ information needs and views.
- Administering and maintaining all database systems and other applications used for the various phases of the census.
- Develop, design and application of best practices for database management and administration.
- Development and implementation of rest service and API’s for data sharing and exchanges.
- Daily monitoring and improving of database performance & capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements by forecasting near or long-term data hosting capacity needs.
- Plan, co-ordinate and implement security measures to safeguard all databases and their components.
- undertake data backup and recovery.
- Database modeling, database optimization, understanding and implementation of schemas, and the ability to interpret and write complex Structured Query Language (SQL) queries.
- Provide GIS database administration support for the existing and future ArcGIS Server environment which includes SDE and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Utilize the suite of ESRI GIS software including extensions to perform high-level analysis to support various mapping projects and web-based applications.
- Define users and enable data distribution to the right user, in appropriate format and in a timely manner.
- Optimize and Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses.
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users.
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards.
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity.
- implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required.
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the various data dictionaries (metadata)
- Make modifications to any existing database software to meet user requirement
Educational Qualifications & Job Requirement Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Software / Application development, GIS/GIT with specialization in Database management and Administration with minimum 3 years of professional work experience in managing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and open source database systems or above versions on enterprise level.
- A professional certificate or proven experience in Microsoft SQL Server 2008, oracle, MySQL and others open source database management solutions